27 Dec VEGAN HIJIKI CAVIAR
3/4 cup hijiki, soaked 30 minutes
Apple juice to cover hijiki
2 tbsp roasted garlic, purée
2 shallots, minced
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp shoyu
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated and juiced
20 pieces brown rice crackers
Toasted sesame seeds, fresh chives, dill sprigs, orange zest to garnish
– Remove hijiki from water and place in a saucepan. Add apple juice to cover hijiki. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
– Remove hijiki from apple juice. In a skillet, sauté shallots in sesame oil until translucent and add roasted garlic simmer for 1 minute. Bring heat to medium-high, add hijiki and sauté for 4 minutes. Add shoyu and cook until all the liquid is evaporated.
– Remove hijiki to cutting board and finely chop.
– Season with brown rice vinegar and ginger juice if needed.
– Serve on brown rice crackers or sliced and toasted whole wheat toast topped with sesame seeds, chives, dill and orange zest.