30 Jan GRAVLAX WITH CITRUS
Serves 4 to 6 as a First Course
1 pound King salmon fillet, skin on, bones removed
1/3 cup sea salt
1/3 cup coconut sugar
2 oz Vodka (optional)
4 tablespoons grated carrot
4 thin slices lemon
4 thin slices lime
4 thin slices orange
2 Nori Seaweed leaves (optional)
Leaves from a few dill sprigs
Rye bread slices
– Cut the salmon fillet in half horizontally. Put the skin half in a glass dish that will be used to refrigerate the salmon prepared.
– Combine the salt and sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle half of the mixture evenly over the fish.
– Distribute 2 tablespoons of the grated carrot over the salt mixture. Place 2 slices of each type of citrus, Nori seaweed and half of the dill on the top. The surface of the fish should be evenly covered with the ingredients.
– Place the second half of salmon on the top as if you were making a sandwich and layer the remaining ingredients on top in the same order. Wrap the salmon tightly in cheesecloth, return it to the dish, cover, and refrigerate for 36 hours.
– Scrape off the citrus, herbs, and any undissolved salt mixture. Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To serve, cut the salmon into very thin diagonal slices.
– Serve with rye bread.