10 Jan MUSSELS AND CLAMS WITH LEMON GRASS AND COCONUT CREAM
1-1/2 baby clams
1 cup dry white wine
1 bunch scallions, chopped
2 lemon grass stalks, chopped
6 kaffir lime leaves, chopped
2 tsp Thai green curry paste
8 oz coconut cream
3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
sea salt and ground pepper
chopped garlic, chives and grated rind of 1 lemon to garnish
– Clean the mussels by pulling off the beards, scrubbing the shells well. Discard any mussels that are broken or open. Wash the clams.
– Put the wine in a large saucepan with the scallions, lemon grass, lime leaves and curry paste. Simmer until the wine has almost evaporated.
– Add the mussels and the clams to the pan, cover tightly and steam the shellfish over a high heat for 5-6 minutes, until they open.
– Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels and clams to a heated serving bowl and keep hot. Discard any mussels and clams that remain closed. Strain the cooking liquid into a clean pan and simmer to reduce to about 1 cup.
– Stir in the coconut cream and cilantro, with salt and pepper to taste. Heat through. Pour the sauce over the mussels and clams and serve, garnished with garlic, chives and grated rind of 1 lemon. Serve with sprouted whole wheat bread.