29 Mar SALMON MARINATED WITH THAI SPICES
2 lb tail piece of 1 salmon (split it lengthwise and remove it from the backbone in two matching fillets)
4 tsp coarse sea salt
4 tsp granulated coconut sugar
1 tbsp fresh ginger root, grated
2 lemon grass stalks, coarse outer leaves removed, thinly sliced
5 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
grated rind of 1 lime
1 fresh red chili, seeded and finely chopped
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
cilantro and kaffir limes to garnish
Cilantro and lime Dressing
1 cup mayonnaise
juice of 1 lime
3 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
– Remove all the bones from the salmon. In a bowl, mix together the salt, sugar, ginger, lemon grass, lime leaves, lime rind, chili, ground pepper and cilantro.
– Place 1/4 of the spice mixture in a shallow dish. Place one salmon fillet, skin down, on top of the spices, Spread 2/3 of the remaining mixture over the flesh then place the remaining fillet on top, flesh side down. Sprinkle the rest of the spice mixture over the fish.
– Cover the fish with oil, then place a board on top. Add some weights, such as clean cans of fruit. Chill for 2-5 days, turning the fish daily in the spicy brine.
– Make the dressing by mixing the mayonnaise, lime juice and chopped cilantro in a bowl.
– When serving, scape the spices off the fish. Slice thinly pieces. Serve with the lime dressing, garnished with cilantro and wedges of kaffir limes. Slices of rye bread.