06 Dec DON QUIXOTE’S FRIDAY LENTILS
Serves 4 (as a main dish)
1 lb dried small brown lentils (about 2-1/2 cups)
2 tbsp lemon zest, slivered
3 bay leaves
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp saffron threads, crushed
4 tbsp olive oil
2 cups diced carrot
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced celery
3 tbsp roasted garlic purée
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
Pinch of ground cloves
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
Lemon wedges for serving
– Place the lentils in a pot and add 6 cups water, slivered lemon zest, bay leaves, and salt. Bring to a boil and cook, covered, for 8 minutes. Drain the lentils, saving the liquid. Discard the bay leaves.
-Soak saffron in 2 tbsp hot water for 15 minutes.
– Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat and sauté carrot, onion, and celery for 5 minutes.
– Add cumin seeds and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and simmer for 5 minutes.
– Stir in lentils and 2 cups of the reserved liquid. Add cloves, pepper, saffron, and additional salt, if necessary. Bring to a boil, then lower and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until lentils and carrot are tender. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
– Serve garnished with chopped egg and lemon wedges to squeeze into the lentils.
– Prepare a green salad seasoning with a lemon vinaigrette.