16 Jan MIDDLE EAST LAMB TAGINE
1 cup dried apricots
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2-1/2 boneless shoulder lamb, cubes
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cinnamon
grated rind and juice of 1 orange
1 tsp saffron strands
2 tbsp ground almonds
1-1/2 cups lamb or chicken stock
2 tbsp sesame seeds
sea salt and ground pepper
fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
– Cut the apricots in half and put in a bowl with 1 cup water. Leave to soak overnight.
– Preheat the oven to 350 F Heat the olive oil in flameproof casserole. Add the onion and cook gently for 10 minutes until soft and golden.
– Stir in the lamb. Add cumin, coriander and cinnamon, with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to coat the lamb cubes in the spices. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
– Add the apricots and their soaking liquid. Stir the orange rind and juice, saffron, ground almonds and enough stock to cover. Cover the casserole (tagine) and cook in the oven for 1-1/2 hours until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally and adding extra stock, if necessary.
– Heat a heavy-based frying pan, add the sesame seeds and dry fry, shaking the pan, until golden. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the meat, garnish with parsley and serve with couscous prepared as directed.